Monday, August 30, 2010

Students & Faculty: Final Grade Appeals

The guidelines for the grievance of final grades are located in the Student Handbook in the section Rights/Policies. The relevant writing begins on the print page 44, which appears as page 56 in the PDF file that is online at the link above.

All grievances must begin with a meeting with the instructor by the deadlines established in the handbook. If the issue is not resolved, the student should appeal to the department chair, following the procedures listed in the Student Handbook.

All appeals of EDUC, ECHD, ELED, and SEED courses should go to Nona Burney, at All other appeals should go to Tom Philion at

Students: Log On to Email Account

Beginning May 22, 2010, your Mail account ( is the preferred email account on record. All communications from colleges and departments, including billing and academic information, will be sent to your Mail account. If you haven't logged into your Mail account yet, you can do so here.

Click here to go to the New RU Mail login page. It looks like a page for hotmail, but should work to log into your RU Mail account. Your login ID is your RU email address. Your password, if using the first time, is your birthday, in this form here: MMDDYY.

If you haven't claimed your new email account, please do so very soon. You can find your new mail address by first logging into RU Access, click on "Personal Information," and then click "View Email Address." Your new email address ends with

If you have trouble logging in, please send a message to with your name, student ID number, and description of the issue. This will be faster than calling the Help Desk. Or call the Help Desk at 312-341-HELP (312-341-4357).

Note: RU will never ask for your password! If you receive an email that looks like it's from Roosevelt and is asking you for your password, delete it! We will never ask you for your password.

Faculty: Graduate Transfer Credit

All requests for graduate level transfer credit should be sent to Daisy Tow (AUD 842) in Chicago or Paula Boettcher (SCH 120) in Schaumburg.

The form for requesting transfer credit for your advisees at the graduate level is available on the website for the Roosevelt University Registrar. It's Form #27. This form must be completed and approved for transfer credit to be indicated on the student's graduate transcript.

All graduate students have the opportunity to transfer in up to 6 hours of graduate credit from other institutions at the time of their initial advising. If you believe that a course on a graduate transcript is equivalent to one of our required courses, please consult the graduate catalog to make sure that all criteria for transfer have been met. Here is the statement in the 2009-2010 Graduate Catalog for the College of Education:

A maximum of six semester hours of acceptable graduate level course work from a regionally accredited graduate school may be considered for transfer to the MA programs under the following conditions: the credit has not been applied toward any other degree, the final grade is A or B, the credit will not be more than six years old when the degree is conferred, and the content is equivalent to a requirement or appropriate as an elective in the degree sequence. The request for approval should be made during the student's first semester at Roosevelt University and must be accompanied by an official transcript and course description. Acceptance of transfer credits will not reduce the number of semester hours that are required specifically at Roosevelt University. No credit from any institution will be accepted for transfer to the doctoral program.

If the conditions are met, complete the Form #27 and send to the registrar's office as outlined above.